Navarro asks for a chance to pursue a basketball career

Gilas Pilipinas attacking William Navarro. FIBA.basketball

MANILA, Philippines — William Navarro hopes for a chance to continue his basketball career even though he has apologized to the national federation for signing with a Korean Basketball League (KBL) team.

Navarro hasn’t received his permission letter from FIBA ​​to join Samsung Thunders Seoul as he has an active contract with Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP).

Under the terms of the contract, Navarro can only play professionally for NorthPort Batang Pier, the team that selected him in the special round of the 2021 PBA Rookie Draft.

In a statement released Thursday, Navarro apologized for the current situation and explained that he had already met with SBP leaders to discuss the matter.

“Last Monday, I attended Gilas Pilipinas’ training session at Meralco Gym in positive response to the invitation extended to me, and to show my support and commitment to the national team,” he said. Navarro said.

It was there that he reached out to SBP executive director Sonny Barrios, Gilas Pilipinas team manager Butch Antonio and Gilas Pilipinas coach Chot Reyes to clear the air.


“Today I met with Executive Director Sonny Barrios in his office and reiterated my sincere apologies for my error and the misunderstanding and miscommunication caused by my signing with the Samsung Thunders of Korea,” Navarro said. .

“I now fully acknowledge that I have an existing contract with the SBP and am aware of its provision regarding the rights of my PBA writing team through the PBA Special Project, Northport Batang Pier,” he added.

“Since the fallout from my actions, I have sought professional assistance and am again under the guidance of a management team who will assist me with contracts and commitments in the future.”

While apologizing, Navarro also makes it clear that he is determined to continue his basketball career.

The former Ateneo de Manila University standout has only played 13 games since 2020, all of them for Gilas Pilipinas. He was not included in the provisional player pool for the FIBA ​​Basketball World Cup 2023 revealed by the SBP during a recent Senate meeting.

“I seek the kind understanding and generosity of the SBP, PBA and the Northport Batang Pier team to give me a chance to pursue my dreams and those of my family for my basketball career,” said Navaro.

“I pledge to abide by any decision they may make regarding my case,” he added.

Navarro also vowed that he would continue to make himself available for the national team, “whenever the program needs my services.” Qualifiers.

Related video:

Back To Top