United States: COVID-19 US / Mexico / Canada Journey Replace: Biden Administration Extends Border Restrictions Till April 21, 2021
To print this text, merely register or hook up with Mondaq.com.
On March 18, 2021, the Biden administration expanded present journey restrictions alongside the US-Canada and US-Mexico land ports of entry till April 21, 2021. The restrictions, which had been scheduled to run out on March 21, 2021, prohibit all “non-essential journey “to enter the US to forestall the unfold of COVID-19. These restrictions have been in impact since March 21, 2020.
As famous within the final replace revealed within the Federal Register, discover of restrictions “Not Relevant air, rail or sea journey “between the US and Canada and / or Mexico. [Emphasis added.] Nonetheless, border restrictions are nonetheless in impact for “practice, ferry and pleasure boat vacationers” between the US and Canada and / or Mexico. Extra importantly, journey for “work” is taken into account “important” for the needs of the restrictions.
Definition of “important” and “non-essential” journeys
America Customs and Border Safety (CBP) defines “important journey” as follows:
- “US residents and lawful everlasting residents returning to the US;
- Folks touring for medical functions (for instance, to obtain medical therapy in the US);
- Folks touring to attend academic establishments;
- Folks touring to work in the US (for instance, individuals working in agriculture or agriculture who should journey between the US and Canada [or Mexico] within the continuation of this work);
- Folks touring for emergency response and public well being functions (for instance, authorities officers or emergency responders coming into the US to assist the efforts of federal, state, native, tribal, or territorial governments to reply to COVID-19 or different emergencies);
- Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border commerce (e.g., truck drivers supporting the motion of products between the US and Canada [or Mexico]);
- Individuals engaged in official journeys for the federal government or diplomatic journeys;
- Members of the US armed forces, in addition to the spouses and kids of members of the US armed forces, returning to the US and
- Folks engaged in navy journey or operations. “
Conversely, CBP defines “non-essential” journey as journey “for tourism functions (eg tourism, recreation, playing, or participation in cultural occasions)”. In its press launch, CBP additionally defines “non-essential” journey as encompassing visiting household and associates, coming into the US to buy objects simply present in Canada or Mexico (for instance, groceries and gasoline), and mail pickup or drop-off.
Influence on employers
Vacationers in search of to enter the US for enterprise functions and who maintain legitimate nonimmigrant work visas (e.g. L-1, H-1B, and so forth.) are eligible for admission, though extra screening is feasible. Folks touring for non-work-related functions, together with dependent relations of these individuals already in the US, might face enhanced screening or doable denial of admission. As a reminder, these journey restrictions don’t have an effect on air journey to the US.
Journey restrictions have been in place for over a yr at this level, and whereas including some stress ranges for numerous vacationers, journey to the US from Canada and Mexico has remained comparatively fixed all through. the pandemic. Nonetheless, vacationers planning to enter the US by means of a land port of entry might want to put together for extra screening measures and points associated to the character and objective of their journey to the US. To this point, no particular COVID-19 testing necessities have been applied for vacationers coming into the US by land crossing, passenger ferry, or passenger practice.
In accordance with a ordered from the US Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention, all worldwide air passengers aged 2 and over coming into the US, together with United States residents, will need to have a damaging COVID-19 take a look at end result or proof of treatment virus prior to now 90 days. Take a look at outcomes should come from a COVID-19 take a look at carried out inside three calendar days of the departure date.
Initially posted by Ogletree Deakins, April 2021
The content material of this text is meant to supply a basic information on the topic. Specialist recommendation ought to be sought in your explicit state of affairs.
POPULAR POSTS ON: Coronavirus (COVID-19) from the US